Sunday, May 5, 2013

Spectacular Speculoos Spread

Well, that seems to be the sentiment of our 11-year old daughter when she first had a taste of it. I just heard this spread from my sister in the U.S. a few months ago. She said that she bought one and she is spreading it to bread, cookies and even bananas. She promised to send me a bottle the next time she sends a package to Manila, which arrived late last month. The long wait was finally over.
I am not allowed to eat this kind of sweet things but I made the ultimate sacrifice just to be able to share what it tastes like. Well, it spreads like peanut butter but the texture is kinda grainy due to the crushed biscuits mixed in it. It sweeter than peanut butter but not as sweet as nutella.
My daughter not only spreads it on bread but also on crackers and wafer sticks as well. She eats it for breakfast, merienda and sometimes as a dessert.
So, what does this spread contain? The label indicates that it it 50% speculoos (what is that?, ha ha ha) with cinammon, nutmet and oils. For those with nuts allergy, the label also shows that it may contain traces of it
What's the verdict? The proof is the empty bottle after only two weeks with our daughter. My sister promised to send some more by July. Hopefully, she'll send more so I can sell some to my office mates who've become curious about it as well.

15 comments:

Farida said...

Obviously your daughter enjoyed this spread! :)

Try Goya's Double Hazelnut Spread next time you visit the grocery. My pamangkins are crazy about this. I have to control myself though whenever we have it at home :))

Unknown said...

that spread looks so yummy; i like PB but my kids and hubby don't like it, kaya ako lang umuubos ng PB sa amin hahaha

Unknown said...

i think i saw that goya hazelnut spread in the grocery and thought of it as a good alternative to nutella. but,we're trying to control our daughter's intake of too much sweets as we have a family history of diabetes.

thanks for visiting :)

Unknown said...

haven't had PB for quite a long time now. it's my daughter who really loves spreads in her bread. be it PB, speculoos or just plain butter/

Beng Gee said...

I haven't tried this one yet. Nutella lang sa imported and Ladies Choice sa local brands. But I'm not very fond of peanut butters actually. I like only when I need it for my Kare-kare recipe. Lol!

Hope you have a great day, Noel! God bless!

Unknown said...

i am not much into peanut butter either. nabubulunan ako, he he he.

nutella was angel's favorite but we try not to buy it coz its too sweet. cheese spread na lang or chicken/tuna spread.

thanks beng for the visit and have a great day too :)

ascertain bliss said...

ayan gusto ko na tuloy pumunta sa grocery and look if it's available here (btw my friend, i'm already here @ nz) :)

Unknown said...

Hi Mylene. Good luck in finding spec sa grocery. Baka vegemite mabili mo hehe. Super lamig ngayon sa new Zealand dhil pawinter na. Visited
north island a few years back. Where in NZ ka based?

ascertain bliss said...

brr sobrang ginaw nga dito. sa auckland me based. dami vegemite, wala pa spec ako nakikita :)

Unknown said...

Check out my blog for tips on what to do in NZ :). Eager to read your adventures there

Unknown said...

Grabe! These things are all over the blogosphere! =)

Unknown said...

My sister tells me that as soon as boxes of this spread at trader joe in the us, it's quicky sold out. Are they sold in sg?

Unknown said...

I haven't seen any in SG yet. Haven't head much about it there pa. But I'm not so sure. Maybe they're still spreading the word out? I know it's harder to introduce new food in SG since there are restrictions and government agencies that you'll have to pass through pa. =)

Unknown said...

Ewan ko ba parang they try to limit the supply of speculoos on the market, heheh

Beng Gee said...

Ay, I thought I already left my comment here. Sowee, Noel!

I wonder how yummy this Speculoos is! Dami ng posts ako nabasa about it. I haven't seen one here in the local market. Is there yet?

Take care and God bless!